A research team calculated the number of asteroids that may be potential threat to Earth. Furthermore, researchers created a list of countries that will suffer the greatest damage in case of asteroid impact.
A team of scientists at the University of Southampton conducted a sample study on asteroids in our solar system using the space telescope WISE. The researchers observed 600 asteroids belonging to the group of space objects known as NEO (Near Earth Objects), i.e. objects moving near Earth. 107 of these had a diameter of over 100 meters. If asteroids of this size fall to Earth, even into the sea, can cause incalculable damage.
The researchers estimated that there are approximately 4700 NEO which are likely to fall to Earth one day. About 10% of those 4700 objects have a diameter of 100 meters or more, according to calculations. So far the researchers have identified and tracked about a thousand objects with diameters greater than 100 meters.
The researchers also studied the impact of the fall of a large asteroid on the planet. They even created a list of ten countries of the world which, as estimated, will suffer the greatest damage from a possible asteroid impact.
In this list contains areas that will be struck by the huge tsunami created in case the asteroid falls into the sea. The list includes China, Indonesia, India, Japan, USA, Philippines, Italy, Britain, Brazil and Nigeria.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
- The Quiet Ones Can Easily Fall into These 4 Ego Traps – Is Your Ego Exploiting Your Introversion? - May 2, 2017
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,