If terms such as adenine and guanine bring you memories of the school course of biology, here you will see a reason to give to these words a second meaning. A group of scientists discovered that these two, as well as the other building blocks of DNA, can form in space and could have been brought to the surface of Earth by meteorites.
Meteorites found in Antarctica and Australia make scientists believe that the building blocks of DNA exist in space. In order to reach this amazing conclusion the researchers analyzed a series of 12 meteorites collected in Antarctica and Australia.
Inside, the scientists found a ‘treasure’ of molecules that may play an important role in the formation of early life forms. The adenine, which helps build the ‘stairs’ of the DNA helix, was present in eleven meteorites. The guanine, another key component of DNA, was present in eight ones.
Two of the 12 meteorites contain exotic particles that are very rare on Earth, thus demonstrating that the building blocks of DNA must have been formed in space. The discovery confirms the theory that a set of prefabricated sections on a meteorite or a comet could have given rise to life on Earth.
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why Intelligent People Fail to Be Happy - November 24, 2016
- 5 Times You Know You Are Rebelling Against Modern Society (Even If It Doesn’t Feel This Way) - November 5, 2016
- 5 Reasons Why Introverts Love Autumn - September 22, 2016