As revealed by the study of the Technology Policy Institute in Washington, with every hour spent in Internet surfing, a user “loses” about 16 minutes from work.
The navigation in the “ocean” of websites seemed to also affect sleep and social life of users, since with each hour in the online world the user lacks seven precious minutes of sleep and 17 minutes of going out in the outside world, which corresponds to approximately 18 whole days away from friends and families a year.
When we are online, we lose life
The study entitled «What we do when we are online» is based on eight years of tracking daily online habits of U.S. users during the period 2003-2011. According to the principal investigator and economist Scott Wallsten, every minute spent online corresponds to 0.27 minutes less devoted to work, 0.28 minutes less television, 0.12 minutes less sleep and 0.05 minutes less socializing with friends.
The top online activity with the highest “demand” is using the social media with 22.5 %, followed by online gaming with 9.8%, sending e-mail with 7.6%, visiting portals with 4 5%, watching movies and online videos with 4.4% and web search with 4%. Indeed, in the Internet users aged 15-19 years surfing reaches an average of seven hours a day.
“This study is a small step towards understanding the economic impact of the use of the Internet. The obtained findings show that the time the general population dedicates to the Internet and online entertainment is constantly growing. Our analysis reveals that the new trend for online activities robs valuable time of activities in real life,” says the expert.
Do you think that the Internet takes your real life away or, on the contrary, makes it more full and interesting giving you more opportunities for leisure and work? Please share your thoughts below!
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
- The Quiet Ones Can Easily Fall into These 4 Ego Traps – Is Your Ego Exploiting Your Introversion? - May 2, 2017
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,