Japanese company promises to build space elevator by 2050
Fifty years ago, people thought that at our time space travel will be as accessible as travel by public transport. Unfortunately, these hopes were not realized. But, perhaps as early as 2050 it will be possible to reach the space by elevator, the concept of which was presented by the Japanese company Obayashi Corporation.
The company promises to launch the elevator into space in several decades! In fact, the creation of this kind of technology involves several scientific and engineering teams around the world, supervised by NASA space agency. However, according to the Japanese company, this process is going very slow, so it was decided to develop its own independent space elevator.
The main achievement of the NASA competition is the proof of the possibility of a space elevator. The Obayashi Corporation promises to launch this unusual space vehicle in 2050!
The elevator will lead from Earth to the space station, located at a height of36,000 km. The length of the cable will be96,000 km because of the necessity to create an orbital counterweight. In the future, it can be used to extend the route of the elevator.
The elevator will travel at speeds of 200 km per hour and carry at the same time up to 30 people. So the vehicle will need about 8 days to reach the ultimate destination. At the same time, the space station will be provided with laboratories and living quarters.
Travel cost per person after the launch of the space elevator will be reduced by several times compared to the present one.
The elevator cable will be created from the combination of carbon nanotubes and secretions from the glands of genetically modified spiders. Anyway, the Obayashi Corporation has a couple of decades to develop and implement these technologies.
- Will It Be Possible to Travel to Distant Stars One Day?
- How High-Tech Revolution Can Be Detrimental to Humankind
- Did Earthly Life Emerge Before the Earth Was Formed?
- What Will Our World Look Like in a Hundred Years?
- Life Could Have Once Existed on Mars, Says NASA
- Davos 2013: extraterrestrial civilizations, human superpowers and immortality
- 8 Amazing Facts You Didn’t Know about Earth
- 10 Unbelievable Future Technologies for Control of the Population
- Most Weird and Unbelievable Predictions for 2013
- 7 Reasons Why Life Might Exist on Other Planets