Let’s be honest, everybody uses labels. We use labels to define one another, whether it’s how big our houses are or how many countries you have visited – certain things become labels and they define us. However, using labels for yourself can pigeonhole you, it can make you feel as though you are defined by that very label, and it can strip you of your happiness.
Here are 5 labels that you should stop using to define yourself.
1. Do not be defined by your past
Everybody has things in their past that they want to put behind them. Sometimes, that isn’t always possible and our ghosts can haunt us for a long time. However, that doesn’t mean it has to define you. Use your scars as something to build a new future upon.
2. Do not be defined by your skills & knowledge
Allowing other people to define how intelligent you are, how much knowledge you have or how skilful you are will bring you down. You are aware of your own abilities and others cannot use this against you to define you. Be confident in your own strengths and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise.
3. Do not define yourself by negative traits
There are some traits that suit our personality, but that we don’t want to define us as it impacts us negatively. For example, being shy. Sure, a person may be shy and that may be a defining aspect of their personality. However, constantly defining somebody as something that they may see as negative and something they’re trying to get away from can have a negative impact.
4. Do not allow your illness to define you
Whether it’s in relation to a physical illness or a mental illness – you are more than your illness. You cannot be defined by any one particular aspect, so do not allow yourself to be so. Accept your illness as a part of you, not that you are a part of it.
5. Don’t allow yourself to be defined by your role
Whether you’re a mother, a carer, a lawyer or a secretary. Those are all just roles and shouldn’t define who you are as a person. Don’t allow labels to bring you down or pigeonhole you in one particular role.
Being happy is about understanding who you are and using labels can take away from that confidence. Following these five ways you shouldn’t define yourself can make you feel a lot happier. Do you allow labels to define you? Let us know in the comments.
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.
Latest posts by Christina (see all)
- 4 Psychologically Damaging Things Most Parents Say to Their Children - September 20, 2016
- 6 Problems All Old Souls Experience at Some Point in Their Life - September 15, 2016
- Lazy People Have One Mental Advantage, Studies Show - September 14, 2016
- The Time You Spend in the Shower Can Determine How Lonely You Are - September 12, 2016
- 5 Surprising Signs That You May Have Above Average Intelligence - August 27, 2016