It turned out that men and women behave differently even in dreams. Thanks to the recent extensive research experts have found out that when men have nightmares they tend to see different kinds of disasters: floods, earthquakes, tsunamis. Also they are often chased by flock of birds and swarms of insects.
At the same time, women when having bad dreams rather face social conflicts, quarrels with loved ones, and they are much more afraid of being cheated on, losing love or friendship than of physical injuries.
Dr. Genevieve Robert, a psychologist at the University of Montreal, claims that men’s nightmares are more associated with accidents and natural disasters, while women dream about interpersonal conflicts that lead to premature awakening.
The study involved 572 volunteers who have been keeping “dream journal” for a long time. As a result, approximately 10,000 records for detailed study were in the hands of the experts.
According to an article published in the journal Sleep, most of the recorded dreams met the theme of fear of violence, harassment, failure. A kind of “evil forces” was also constantly present in nightmares.
To the surprise of the experts, most people who experienced shame, guilt, or disgust in a dream watched their nightmares until the end and did not wake up in a cold sweat. The scientists estimate that about 5-6 percent of all people regularly see bad dreams.
Professor Anthony Zadra, one of the authors, said that, in fact, the reason why people do have dreams is insufficiently studied by psychologists. However, he expressed confidence that recurring nightmares can be treated by the technique of positive visualization.
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why Intelligent People Fail to Be Happy - November 24, 2016
- 5 Times You Know You Are Rebelling Against Modern Society (Even If It Doesn’t Feel This Way) - November 5, 2016