A British cancer patient astonished doctors when 70 potentially lethal tumors disappeared from his body in just twelve weeks.
In 2001, 47 year-old Ian Brooks manifested a rare form of non- Hodgkin lymphoma – a cancer that attacks the immune system. The treatments effectively fought the disease then, but in 2008 the cancer reappeared more aggressive than ever.
The checkups revealed 60-70 scattered tumors from the head to the abdomen and the doctors said he had a few weeks to live. The last resort was to test an experimental drug of that time, which was gladly accepted by Brooks, since “if he did nothing, his death would be a matter of weeks.”
However, 12 weeks later, doctors at the Christie Hospital in Manchester discovered with surprise that the experimental drug had cleared the body from all tumors.
The drug Mr. Brooks took is called brentuximab vedotin and is a type of monoclonal antibody approved in the U.S. and Europe in 2011 and 2012 respectively.
The drug is approved to treat Hodgkin lymphoma and a rare type of lymphoma – the so-called anaplastic large cell lymphoma.
As the «Daily Mail» writes, the response of Mr. Brooks to drug was such that his doctor, Dr. Adam Gibbs, said the tests before and after taking the drug “were probably the most impressive set of tests he has never seen.”
Mr. Brooks is currently in remission and his doctors are optimistic about the state of his health. “I feel like someone is watching over me, because after all these treatments and the tumors I had, I’m still here,” he said.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
- The Quiet Ones Can Easily Fall into These 4 Ego Traps – Is Your Ego Exploiting Your Introversion? - May 2, 2017
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,