The “great minds of the world” estimated the most likely causes that might lead to the end of the world.
According to their calculations, killer robots and cyber-attacks that will cause chaos in communications are the greatest enemies of mankind.
The distinguished scientists of the University of Cambridge, among them Stephen Hawking, launched a study to identify what threatens the modern man.
Professor Robert May of the Center for the Study of Existential Risk of Cambridge, said: “When you know your enemies, you can face them.” Head of the center is Martin Rees who points out that among the greatest enemy of mankind is man himself and not natural phenomena.
According to the British newspaper “Daily Mail”, Rees believes that terrorists will use the Internet as a means to cause chaos in communications by spreading computer viruses.
Other major universities: Oxford, Harvard and Berkeley also took part in the study. Scientists from these universities studied extreme weather, pandemics that spread rapidly and the possibility of wars that could break out due to overcrowding, which would result in a lack of food and renewable energy sources.
“So far the response of the scientific community to our efforts is impressive, although at present our study is at an early stage,” says lead researcher and adds: “Our goal is to create an international advisory network.”
As he explains, the two scientists who have the leading role in this effort are the director of the Internet call services “Skype” Jaan Tallinn and a professor of philosophy at the University of Cambridge Huw Price.
“Many scientists fear that advances in technology will trigger risks threatening the humankind. Our dependence on technology makes the human species particularly vulnerable,” warn the scientists.
In particular, the major risks that threaten the human species are:
- Advanced technology: killer robots and computers in the hands of terrorists
- Laboratory viruses that can cause pandemics
- Extreme weather events
- Nuclear apocalypse
- Impact of a giant asteroid on our planet.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Signs You Could Be Stuck in Life without Even Realizing It - November 17, 2017
- 5 Lessons the Fall Season Teaches Us about Life - November 14, 2017
- 5 Signs Your Social Phobia Is Actually Empathic Sensitivity to People’s Energy - September 11, 2017
- 7 Confessions of an INTP Female - August 26, 2017
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,