Very often in professional lives we are teamed up with individuals and given a set of objectives to achieve. Even with all the right people in the mix teams at times fail miserably; the reason being that they are missing the most important factor, a perfect integration.
Know thy team
To work in teams in a seamless manner it is essential to understand the different roles that people get to play in teams. The most important role is that of a task facilitator. Such people eventually emerge as the leaders. They coordinate tasks and set the working pathway. They find solutions and try to resolve conflicts between members. Then there are those individuals who ensure that the team members are happy at all times. They continuously encourage the team members and urge the team to go along with one another. But then among all of these people there are several individuals that have little or no interest in working and would rather take a free ride along with the group than actually work with the group. If you are the team leader you must recognize the categories that your team members fall in. This will ultimately help you deal with them in a much more resourceful manner.
Know thy conflicts
Teams demand effective management and a huge part of effective management is understanding conflicts that can arise in a team.
Conflicts can arise due to several reasons:
- Shared resources; they can be just about anything that the team needs, from money to information to physical supplies.
- Various goals; when the goals of the individual members differ from those of the team it is really hard to pull everyone together.
- Incomplete information; whether intentional or unintentional, in a world where information is gold fragmented or incomplete information can be a huge barrier to any teams success.
- Struggle for power and influence; power struggles are a common problem that can arise with individuals working together. There will always be those few individuals that would be in the game for power and glory and can get quite ruthless playing that game.
Know thy solutions
Effective conflict resolution comes from understanding the problem to the core. Only after the problem has been fully understood can proper solutions be proposed for the problem. Establish open communication lines between the people who are in conflict, coerce them to solve the conflict. Encourage people to be flexible and help them try to understand all point of views of any conflict.
Latest posts by Valerie (see all)
- 4 Biographical Movies That Will Make You Learn History and Think about Life - January 20, 2018
- How Will Virtual Assistants Shape Our Lives in the Near Future? - January 6, 2018
- 7 Types of Liars and How to Recognize and Deal with Each - December 23, 2017
- 10 Motivational Quotes about Life That Will Make You Think - December 17, 2017
- 7 Amazing Facts about the Brain You Need to Know - November 21, 2017
Copyright © 2018 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,