Here are some clever riddles that will leave you scratching your head. Can you solve them?
1. The Horse Riddle
British scientists found that during an average day, a horse had one pair of legs travel a total of 18 miles, while the other pair covered 19 miles. Are they really out of their minds, or can this really be true?
2. A Little Boy and a Tree
A little boy 100 centimeters tall put a nail into a tree as a mark for his own height. Three years later, he returned to the tree and put another nail at the point of his height. During this time, the boy has grown 20 centimeters taller, and the tree has grown 40 centimeters taller. What is the distance between the nails?
3. The Calendar Riddle
Three Fridays of a certain month have fallen on even-numbered dates. What day of the week was the eighteenth of that month?
4. The Snake and the Turtle
The snake is 110 years old. “How old are you?”, the snake asked the turtle. The turtle answered, “My age was 10 times greater than was yours when I was just as old as you are now.” How old is the turtle?
5. The Family Portrait Riddle
A man is looking at a picture. ‘Whose picture are you looking at?” someone asked him. The man answered. “I was growing up being the only one in my family. And yet, the father of the person in the picture is the son of my father.” Whose portrait was the man looking at?
6. The Dragonfly Riddle
Here’s a fun and clever riddle just in time before vacations start. The dragonfly spends half the time of each single summer day (24 hours) on sleeping, one-third of each summer day on dancing, and one-sixth of each summer day on singing. The rest of the summertime it decided to devote to preparing for the winter.
How many hours has the dragonfly spent on actually preparing for the winter season during a summer day?
7. The King and His Daughter
The king wanted to give his daughter, the princess to an arranged marriage, but the princess did not want that. So the king said that the princess can herself decide her fate.
At the public square, she will need to draw a rock from a sack, either a white or black rock. If she draws a black rock – it will be the king’s decision whom to marry, and she draws a white one – she can decide to marry whomever she wants.
But the maid told the princess that the king was not going to play fair and would put two black rocks in the sack. The princess could not make the act of discovering two black rocks inside the sacked public for fearing people will find out that their ruler was prone to injustice.
But the next morning, she did something that saved her from an arranged and unhappy marriage. What did she do?
8. The Wise Man Riddle
There once was a wise man in a town who had not been favored by the rulers of the city. It was decided to execute him. He was told that he could himself decide whether he lives or dies by his own last words.
If his words turn out to be a lie, he will be hanged. If the words turn out to be true, he will be drowned. The wise man thought for a bit and said something that saved him from being executed. What did he say?
9. The White Hat Riddle
Two wise men were brought to the palace to determine who is wiser in the following test: in a dark room, from three bell-shaped hats, two white and one black, one will be placed on their head.
And then they will stand facing each other in a room without mirrors. The first of the two wise men who correctly names the color of the hat he is wearing will be recognized as the wisest.
And so, the wise men stood for a while, and each of them had a white hat on, and each of them only knew that the other one was wearing a white hat. Suddenly, one of them exclaimed: “I am wearing a white hat!” What would be this wise man’s way of thinking?
10. The Office Murder Riddle
A man is found murdered in his office. The body of the man is leaning over the desk, and a revolver is still clamped n his hand. There is a voice recorder on the table.
Police turn on the voice recorder of the deceased and immediately hear a recorded message: “I cannot live anymore. Life no longer has any meaning for me …”. After that, the sound of a shot is heard. Why do you think the police immediately concluded that the man was murdered, and this was not a suicide?
Solving clever riddles such as these ones is a great way to train your brain and have some fun, too!
- 1984 Quotes about Control That Are Scarily Relatable to Our Society - February 10, 2023
- 10 Signs of Negative Energy in a Person to Pay Attention to - February 9, 2023
- 6 Things to Do Before the New Year to Make Your Life Better - December 29, 2022
Copyright © 2012-2023 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.
This Post Has 11 Comments
7. she picks out the pebble and throws in the pile of pebbles, then says , “oops, since the pebble left in the sack is black one, i must have picked up the white pebble”. Thus she wins.
8.he says , ” I am lying”.
10. who turns off the voice recorder ? somebody else than dead person, so its a murder
i could not solve 1,2 and 9.
9. The person who said ” I am wearing white hat ” thought that if he was wearing a black hat the other person would have answered that he (other person) was wearing a white hat. But he didn’t. So the person who answered the question knew that he was wearing a white hat because the other person did’t answer.
1. I think this is true. If a horse runs a circular path, the ‘inside’ legs would circumscribe a smaller circle than the ‘outside’ legs.
2. Assuming that all new vertical growth occurs at the top of the tree, the nails would be 20 cm apart.
9.if the wise man hav black hat the othr guy wil shout saying hez having white hat on his head bt hez thinking lyk the wise man wat to answr that means the wise man hav white hat on him.. so hez r8….n philokgb i dont think ur answr for 1 is r8 if a horse runs like dat the distnce b/w the pair of legs of horse must b 110 mts apprx i dnt think there is such big horse in this world!!!
The dragon fly one is actually 0 hours.
1/6 of a day is 4 hours
1/3 of a day is 8 hours
1/2 of a day is 12 hours
= 24 hours accounted for!
1. Seems they are out of mind 😀
2. Nail is 20 cm longer then the boy’s current height
3. Sunday ( Friday is on 2,9,16,23,30)
4. 209 (when turtle was 110 snake was 11, after 99 years snake becomes 110 where turtle becomes 110+99=209 year old) ( cosmoschild you are wrong)
5. Son of the man looking at the picture
6. No time left for winter preparations after all other activities ( cosmoschild you are wrong)
7.She picks out the pebble and throws in the pile of pebbles, then says , “oops, since the pebble left in the sack is black one, i must have picked up the white pebble”. Thus she wins. ( cosmoschild)
8. He said ” I am gonna be hanged” ( cosmos child you are wrong)
9. If the wise man have black hat the other guy will shout saying he is having white hat on his head but he is thinking like the wise man what to answer that means the wise man have white hat on him. ( Shiva )
10. The police found the recorder off because in the question it is said “when police turned on the recorder”, it means someone turned it off off course the Killer
Failed to solve the 1, 7 and 9 but all answers are true except the first one… 🙂
8. He did not say “i am gonna be hanged (subham) . Because if he said that he would not be hanged. And if he is not going to get hanged then ur statement becomes false. He said ” I AM NOT GOING TO GET HANGED” because if he says that the statement would be true because they will not hang him. BETTER ANSWER – He said it would be dark at night.
1. Front legs of horse don’t travel as much back and forth as the rear legs (which do most the work)
2. The nail is 20cm above the kid
3. Total of 5 Fridays are 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th…18th=Sunday
4. (turtle=110)=(snake=11)*10….difference is 99, so 99+110=209
5. grandfather->father->son….so his son
6. dragonflies live only for a few months…you don’t even need to do the math to know that answer
7. ATTENTION!!! She told the king that his maid is a backstabber…(this is how women work you fools!)
8. no effin clue but probably some word play…I would just keep my mouth shut that way I can’t lie or tell the truth so they let me go haha
9. 2/3 hats are white…chances are 66% that the hat he was wearing was white
10. who shut off the recorder?
Just realized answers were already up….might as well mention again that 7 is that the princess told the king that his maid is working behind his back. women….
shut off the recorder? it’s nowadays office, so modern recorders deactivate when the tape is over. more important question is who rewinded the tape.
Wow, these are clever riddles, especially the white hat one! It definitely makes me feel unintelligent for not knowing the answers, but I like the challenge. I think I’ll tell these riddles to my family tonight at dinner and see if they are smarter than me. Thanks for making me think and use my brain today!