The result is that our brain makes some small, everyday “mistakes”, which are called ‘cognitive biases’ in terms of psychology. These strategies help us to recognize impending threats and take quick decisions when necessary.
Here are these five key “imperfections” of logic and mind:
1. We always focus on the negative side
Psychologists argue that the human brain is programmed to detect every negative stimulus around us. Our brain is constantly seeking for potential threats and when it finds one, it gets “obsessed” with it. The result is that we lose the real perception of the world around us, which in fact is full of infinite positive things.
2. We see patterns everywhere
A classic mistake in our thinking is the so-called Type 1 Error. The brain concludes that an incorrect hypothesis is correct, usually by making an irrelevant correlation between cause and effect. That is why we love coincidences! This way of thinking helps us to avoid potential risks.
3. We cannot see what is before our eyes
After a number of studies and experiments, researchers from Harvard and the National University of Kent found that human is quite selective in what he sees and observes around him. We often rely on our memory, and this greatly weakens the ability to perceive the world through our vision.
4. We tend to avoid any disagreement
Our brain abhors conflicts and does everything to avoid them! For this reason, we prefer the people and situations that are consistent with our thinking and reinforce our beliefs. This is the so-called “confirmation bias“, which makes us seek for information that confirms our views and, in contrast, reject the information that refutes them.
5. We are strict with ourselves
We have the innate tendency to exaggerate our mistakes and faults, believing that others around us observe them. This is the “headlight effect” as it is called by psychologists. This phenomenon characterizes the person’s tendency to focus on his own flaws more strongly than others do.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Signs You Could Be Stuck in Life without Even Realizing It - November 17, 2017
- 5 Lessons the Fall Season Teaches Us about Life - November 14, 2017
- 5 Signs Your Social Phobia Is Actually Empathic Sensitivity to People’s Energy - September 11, 2017
- 7 Confessions of an INTP Female - August 26, 2017
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,