Just as it happens every year, autumn crept up unnoticed. Jolly summer is over, and sunny mornings and sultry afternoons slowly make way for rainy, gloomy days.
Even though many people prefer summer to autumn, this time of the year has a lot to offer. If you are one of those who feel sad about the end of summer, read through the autumn quotes below to tune into the poetry of the newly born season.
Whether you are looking for some inspiration, wisdom, or motivation, autumn can give you all of this – and so can the poets and authors who wrote about the season of rains and fallen leaves.
Top Autumn Quotes That Will Make You Fall in Love with This Season
Inspirational Autumn Quotes
It’s not a coincidence that so many writers and poets found inspiration in this gloomy season. Autumn is like nostalgia – it’s both melancholic and beautiful. And it too has the power to consume your mind, making you think about the deeper meaning of life.
If you feel blue, all it takes is to open your eyes to the poetry of decaying nature. Yes, autumn shows us that even decay can be gorgeous.
Below are a few inspirational quotes to help you see the splendor of autumn even if you are not a fan of this time of the year.
1. I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.
-L. M. Montgomery
2. Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale.
3. Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I love – that makes life and nature harmonise.
4. Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first September was crisp and golden as an apple.
5. No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
6. I’m such an autumn person. Give me a quiet, cozy spot with a view of the changing trees on a crisp, late September day, a warm drink, and a good book and I will be in all my glory.
7. Autumn…the year’s last, loveliest smile.
-John Howard Bryant
8. I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house.
9. Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons.
10. Autumn wins you best by this, its mute appeal to sympathy for its decay.
11. It’s so strange that autumn is so beautiful; yet, everything is dying.
12. October is crisp days and cool nights, a time to curl up around the dancing flames and sink into a good book.
13. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.
14. Autumn is leaving its mellowness behind for its spiky, rotted stage. Don’t remember summer even saying goodbye.
15. How I used to love the dark, sad evenings of late autumn and winter, how eagerly I imbibed their moods of loneliness and melancholy when wrapped in my cloak I strode for half the night through rain and storm, through the leafless winter landscape, lonely enough then too, but full of deep joy, and full of poetry which later I wrote down by candlelight sitting on the edge of my bed!
16. I love the start of autumn when the trees in my garden change the colour of their leaves in one last dazzling display.
17. October, crisp, misty, golden October, when the light is sweet and heavy…
Autumn Leaves Quotes
Falling leaves are the most vital symbol of autumn, and this is why so many quotes describe this melancholic cascade. Even though watching autumn leaves fall can make you feel sad, it is also calming and hypnotizing.
Here are a few quotes that capture the beauty of the autumn leaves:
18. Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
19. My heart is drumming in my chest so hard it aches, but it’s the good kind of ache, like the feeling you get on the first real day of autumn, when the air is crisp and the leaves are all flaring at the edges and the wind smells just vaguely of smoke – like the end and the beginning of something all at once.
20. It gives you a good feeling. Each year, you rediscover in a garden the magic of life. A flower arrives, and it is a miracle. The leaves fall in the autumn, and it looks fantastic. There is a tenderness about a garden, and you can’t help but be sensitive to that.
-Hubert de Givenchy
21. Now Autumn’s fire burns slowly along the woods and day by day the dead leaves fall and melt.
22. Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day.
23. Autumn leaves don’t fall, they fly. They take their time and wander on this their only chance to soar.
24. There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves.
-Joe L. Wheeler
25. Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree.
26. I like spring, but it is too young. I like summer, but it is too proud. So I like best of all autumn, because its leaves are a little yellow, its tone mellower, its colours richer, and it is tinged a little with sorrow and a premonition of death.
27. The leaves fall, the wind blows, and the farm country slowly changes from the summer cottons into its winter wools.
28. Two sounds of autumn are unmistakable…the hurrying rustle of crisp leaves blown along the street…by a gusty wind, and the gabble of a flock of migrating geese.
29. The fallen leaves in the forest seemed to make even the ground glow and burn with light.
30. As leaves cover the forest floor in a carpet of vibrant rusts, orange and gold, autumn proves that sometimes death too can be a beautiful thing.
31. Leaves grow old gracefully, bring such joy in their last lingering days. How vibrant and bright is their final flurry of life.
32. Autumn is the hardest season. The leaves are all falling, and they’re falling like they’re falling in love with the ground.
Motivational Autumn Quotes
Autumn is also a great teacher. We can learn so many life lessons if we observe nature and reflect on the processes that happen each year.
When you see the leaves fall, you know that the trees are dying, but you also know that they will be reborn in spring.
It makes you think that no matter how boring or tough your life is right now, it can change. No matter what hardship or trauma you are dealing with, you can always start over again, just like the trees do every year.
This motivational message is the most encouraging truth autumn teaches us, as shown in the quotes below:
33. You expected to be sad in the fall. Part of you died each year when the leaves fell from the trees and their branches were bare against the wind and the cold, wintery light. But you knew there would always be the spring, as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person died for no reason.
34. Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go.
35. Love the trees until their leaves fall off, then encourage them to try again next year.
36. Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald
37. Autumn is a momentum of nature’s golden beauty, so the same it’s time to find your momentum of life.
-Rashedur Ryan Rahman
38. I love autumn despite the drenching weather. I think it symbolises the end of misery and the beginning of glee. It gives hopes that sooner or later, flowers will bloom again, green buds will sprout from trees, and that which is dead will come back alive.
39. Autumn is the time of balance and of sacrifice, a time when the light is defeated by darkness, a time when the night takes over and brings the coming winter. The ancient wisdom says that those who long for light must face their inner darkness and overcome it.
40. Human existence is as brief as the life of autumn grass, so what was there to fear from taking chances with your life?
41. There is no better time than the autumn to begin forgetting the things that trouble us, allowing them to fall away like dried leaves.
Autumn Love Quotes
Some poets and authors refer to autumn and falling leaves when speaking about love. It makes sense why – this time of the year is full of poetry and metaphors.
I’m sure that you will find these autumn quotes touching and romantic, and perhaps, you will fall a little more in love with this season after reading them:
42. Eventually, I realize that I am holding on to him just as tightly as he holds on to me. And here we are: two small dying things, as the world ends around us like falling autumn leaves.
43. She was queen and he was king. In the autumn light, her hair shone like a crown. They collected the world in small handfuls, and when the sky grew dark, they parted with leaves in their hair.
44. Love is a flower that grows in any soil, works its sweet miracles undaunted by autumn frost or winter snow, blooming fair and fragrant all the year, and blessing those who give and those who receive.
-Louisa May Alcott
45. If I breathe you in and you breathe me out, I swear we can breathe forever. I swear I’ll find summer in your winter and spring in your autumn.
46. Why did dusk and fir-scent and the afterglow of autumnal sunsets make people say absurd things?
-L. M. Montgomery
47. My sorrow, when she’s here with me, thinks these dark days of autumn rain are beautiful as days can be; she loves the bare, the withered tree; she walks the sodden pasture lane.
48. Some people fall head over heels. Other people begin to fall without even knowing it — love grows like a spring flower beneath last autumn’s leaves and catches them by surprise.
49. You are my heart, my soul, my equal. You see the light in me when I’m lost within darkness. When I’m cold and distant, you’re as warm as autumn sunshine, bathing me in your glow.
50. For others, magic is a crisp autumn’s day or a tender hug from a loved one.
-Neil Patrick Harris
Celebrate the Gorgeous Melancholy of Autumn
Some of these autumn quotes are short and clear, others are long and full of vivid metaphors, but they all carry out the same message: you can’t deny the grace of this time of the year.
Even if the crisp mornings and rainy days evoke sadness in your heart, take a few moments to observe the beauty of nature and learn from the season of gorgeous melancholy.
- 6 Things to Do Before the New Year to Make Your Life Better - December 29, 2022
- The Greatest Illusion People Fall Into in the Age of Social Media - December 15, 2022
- 3 Reasons Why Introverts Are Among the Most Loyal People You’ll Meet - October 15, 2021
Copyright © 2012-2023 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.