Every blunt person knows that there is a fine line between brutal honesty and being direct. Sometimes it can be difficult being the candid friend in your social circle, as you might find it hard to reign in your communications for fear of causing upset. However, your direct nature might just be your secret superpower!
Let’s look at the qualities of blunt people and the value they bring to their relationships.
Four Great Personality Traits of Blunt People:
1. They are honest
A blunt friend won’t sugar coat their advice, and you know they mean it when they pay you a compliment. You will find this type of friend to be loyal, trustworthy, and never to hold back, whether sharing their opinion, defending you, or discussing their views.
2. They keep it simple
Many relationships revolve around unspoken truths or challenging areas that are left ignored. This can build up over time and cause underlying tensions or resentments. If you have a relationship with a blunt person, you won’t experience anything like this.
A direct friend will air their feelings, get it all out into the open, and clear up any misunderstandings. They are not afraid of conflict, but more importantly, do not shy away from being straightforward.
3. They are true
Have you ever had a friend or a partner with whom you weren’t sure where you stood? Or have you known somebody who keeps their feelings so close to their chest it is hard to move the relationship forward?
People with blunt personalities never hesitate to let you know where you stand. This might be in telling you just how much you mean to them, or sharing their life plans and where they see the future heading. A blunt friend or partner is open, direct, and honest, so you will never be left wondering.
4. They are efficient
Another positive power of blunt people is their efficiency. They don’t beat around the bush, don’t hesitate to say what is on their mind, and don’t waste time on relationships or projects where they see no future.
How to Channel Your Blunt Personality Positively?
So, now we have established what it means to be direct and the personality traits you might recognize in yourself or blunt people in your life. How can we develop those characteristics to shape their positivity further?
If you are very direct, you will know that this sometimes takes people aback. In polite society, a lot of people don’t engage openly with their feelings and temper their criticisms to be gentler.
A blunt person often finds himself or herself causing upset without intending to, or losing friends who react badly to their direct style of communication.
Here are some ways to use your blunt personality for good:
- Try not to be too personal. You have strong feelings and have no qualms about expressing them fully and directly. However, it would help if you also remembered that people can be sensitive and need to be treated gently. Share your thoughts, but try not to make them too personal. It is much easier to accept objective opinions than direct criticism.
- Don’t get carried away. You are passionate and want to share your opinions with your friends. However, stick to the point and don’t get so wrapped up in conversations that you belabor the point. An actively engaged audience is only likely to listen for so long, and a passionate tirade won’t get you very far!
- Remember to listen. Less confident people may have equally essential views to share. It is vital for your relationships that you let your less direct friends have the space to make their voices heard.
Do Blunt People Make Good Friends or Partners?
They sure can – and once you have become used to their characteristics, you are likely to see how positive these can be!
Blunt people make incredible partners and friends, and here are some of the reasons why:
- If they say something beautiful, they mean it. A blunt partner isn’t going to pay you compliments to get your attention; they mean what they say.
- They won’t get offended easily. Being straightforward means being able to accept direct criticism as well as dishing it out. You won’t find a blunt partner getting upset at the flip of a switch.
- You will get an authentic opinion. While sometimes friends say what they think we want to hear, a blunt person will always say what they know you need to hear.
- They’ve got your back. If you find yourself in a difficult situation, a friend with a direct personality will be proactive and practical in finding ways to support you, help you, and defend you.
- They don’t keep secrets. Blunt people share what is on their mind, and you are likely to have a very open and honest relationship without any secrets.
While there is a fine line between being direct and being too personal, blunt people make excellent friends and partners, with an honest and open approach to every aspect of their relationships.
If you like to be able to speak what is on your mind and would like your partner or friend to do the same, a blunt person is who you need to have on your team.
- 10 Traits of a Feisty Personality People Often Misunderstand - April 21, 2021
- 9 Adorable Traits of a Vibrant Personality: Is This You? - April 14, 2021
- 4 Truths about People Who Are Overly Critical of Others - April 2, 2021
Copyright © 2012-2021 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.