Have you been dreaming of earthquakes recently? Normally this is a very rare dream, but several people I’ve spoken to recently reported having this dream. So what does an earthquake dream mean? Let’s find out.
How to Interpret Your Earthquake Dream
9 General Meanings of Earthquake Dreams
If you live in an area that is prone to earthquakes this dream indicates minor difficulties to come. However, generally speaking, earthquake dreams are a lot more significant.
1. Dramatic changes ahead
Dreams about an earthquake signify drastic changes and a complete change of circumstance. This might be from an environment such as work, or even a relationship.
Now, this dramatic change will be beneficial but only through hard work. As a result, you will reap the rewards but you’ll have to dig deep.
2. Current events
With the global pandemic showing no signs of slowing down or halting, we are all feeling increased levels of anxiety. At present, normal life is suspended, we are on lockdown and our behaviour is massively restricted.
The problem with the coronavirus is that it is invisible and we are wary of an enemy we can’t see. On the other hand, earthquakes are loud and visible. They shatter the environment. In fact, you could say they are a visual representation of the worry and anxiety we feel about the pandemic.
3. Overwhelmed feeling
Earthquakes in themselves are extremely chaotic. They start underground and rip chasms through the earth’s crust. Earthquakes are the very definition of pent up energy bursting outwards.
Perhaps you are dealing with a particularly hectic period in your life? Are you feeling that life’s frantic pace is too intense for you? Now is the time to take a step back or ask for support.
4. Extreme anxiety
Earthquakes cause tremors, vibrations and lead to a feeling of instability. Do you feel as if the rug has been pulled from beneath your feet? That you cannot cope with normal everyday life?
This dream of an earthquake is literally your subconscious shaking you a warning to get help. You can’t manage on your own; seek assistance now.
5. Personal transformation
Earthquakes devastate, but they also drastically transform the landscape. Are you embarking on a new challenge in your life? Maybe you are switching careers from one end of the spectrum to another? This earthquake dream might be indicative of your apprehension about the change.
Or maybe the transformation is a more personal one? Either way, your subconscious mind has picked up on your thoughts and wants to help you clarify them.
6. Hidden aggression
Sigmund Freud believed that dreams are the gateway to our subconscious. His dream theory focused on hidden and repressed desires. As such, a destructive force like an earthquake would indicate a hidden destructive desire.
You might not even be aware of this destructive nature within yourself. But perhaps there is something in your life that you feel intense anger towards? Figure out what it is before it consumes you.
7. Cathartic process
Earthquakes leave behind them devastation and destruction. But they are also powerful forces that build up and up and then erupt. This initial devastation clears the way for rebuilding and reinvention.
Instead of fearing the tremors and the shaky ground, use this natural energy as an invigorating and cleansing process.
Remember, you are the architect of this earthquake dream. Therefore, you are protected. This is your dream. The earthquake is of your own making and is there for you to harness its power and energy.
8. Shake up your life
An earthquake dream is your subconscious mind literally taking you by the shoulders and shaking you awake. You are stuck in a rut. Your relationship is going nowhere. You hate your job. You do things out of habit. This earthquake dream is you shouting at yourself to change things.
When we lose someone close to us, it feels as if the earth beneath our feet is no longer stable. Our world is shattered around us. It has been turned upside down and inside out. This type of earthquake dream is a release of your grief for the person you have lost.
Specific Earthquake Dreams
- You stood in the epicentre of the earthquake unharmed – You have found your focus in life and will be successful.
- You watched the earthquake for a long time – Your career or business is on the right path. Be patient, your hard work will pay off.
- Trapped in an earthquake – You can’t see a way out of your current situation. Consider your options before you make a final decision.
- You were in your house at the time of the earthquake, but it didn’t collapse – Expect significant job changes in your family. These may include a move out of town.
- Your home did collapse but you and your loved ones were safe – A recent disaster will have little impact on you or your way of life.
- You were injured in the earthquake – You are afraid that if you suffer losses in your business or if you lose your job you won’t be able to manage in the long-term.
- A person you love is killed or injured in the earthquake – Your feelings are changing towards this person.
- You saved someone from an earthquake – A close friend will experience a serious misfortune and come to you for help.
- You were saved from an earthquake – A problem you feared would be insurmountable is not as bad as you imagine. But get some support.
- You ran away and hid from an earthquake – This dream is telling you to slow down and consider your decisions before you act on them.
- You felt the earth shaking under your feet – You don’t feel confident about a recent life choice. This could relate to your career or personal life. Your dream is warning you to be prepared for any eventuality.
- You walked around the ruins of an earthquake – This is a repression dream. You are hiding your feelings regarding a failed business, career choice or partner. You have to face up to reality.
Dreams about earthquakes can be scary and worrying. But they don’t all signify bad news. Look at the particulars of your dream and you’ll find what your subconscious mind is trying to tell you.
- 9 Signs You Have Mean World Syndrome & How to Fight It - May 23, 2020
- False Awakening in Regular and Lucid Dreams: Causes & Symptoms - May 20, 2020
- ‘Is My Child a Psychopath?’ 5 Signs to Watch Out For - May 18, 2020
Copyright © 2012-2020 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.