A free soul or spirit is a person who has reached a certain degree of maturity and emotional stability, based on confidence and independence.
Hence, it is not easy to get to this climax of personal development. In addition, we are talking about a dimension that might fit into the hierarchy of needs that Abraham Maslow presented in 1943 in his article “A Theory of Human Motivation.” Being a free soul does not mean to get rid of all your responsibilities. This is a misconception.
A true free soul is distinguished by a set of attributes, attitudes and ways of interacting with the reality that makes you more capable of facing and overcoming the difficulties of life.
- A free soul is like the wind: s/he goes everywhere s/he wants. S/he cannot be prevented from reaching where the heart leads him/her.
- A free soul is like water: gentle, patient, yet, a powerful force.
- A free soul is like a thought: restless. For a free soul, the movement is life, and life is the essence of progress: to get where s/he wants and where s/he needs to be.
- A free soul is like a sword: his/her call is to fight, not to rust in the sheath.
But how else can you know if you are a free soul? Check out the 7 signs below:
1. You choose, think and act without the need for anyone’s approval
If you have reached that point in your life where you do not need the approval of others, it means you have achieved true freedom.
Throughout life, you often feel the need to be validated by society. First, it’s about pleasing your parents, then about impressing your schoolmates and colleagues. You do not change overnight to reveal yourself as you are and to speak from your heart with sincerity. It requires time, experience and thought. Only a truly free soul can reach this level.
2. You live fearlessly and have a great confidence in yourself
Experts in the sphere of personal development and motivational psychology know well that fear is the enemy of great opportunities. Thus, if you stop worrying and visualizing the future in gloomy colors, you will be able to take much bigger steps in life.
Happiness is always beyond fears. But to overcome this threshold, you need to have a good self-confidence.
3. You are a sincere, daring and spontaneous person
Some of your key personality traits are sincerity but also a kind of impertinence. You’re spontaneous because you do not care what people say or think. Ironically, this actually makes them like you more and evokes positive emotions in those around you.
Authentic people are free souls because their inner self is no longer censored. This manifestation of their personality and values can show the world how they feel life must be lived: with passion.
4. You know what you fight for
Despite the opinion of many people, being a free soul means not to shy away from responsibilities or to aspire to a foolish freedom. It is not like that at all.
Free spirits know well what they fight for: for what they love, for what defines them, and for their happiness. The rest does not matter.
5. A free soul does not know about emotional dependencies
Sentimental addictions are another enemy of personal development. A relationship based on emotional dependence destroys your identity, integrity and self-expression.
A person who considers him/herself a free soul knows how to love another person without becoming addicted. Thus, you offer the best of yourself, but you continue being complete yourself.
6. You appreciate even the little things in your life
Being free means to not chain yourself to anything that prevents you from growing or loving life. One can only gain freedom if one knows how to set a list of priorities and if s/he understands that the most important things in life are not materials but feelings.
Emotions are born from the simplest, everyday experiences. It can be a meaningful conversation, a walk on the beach, a meeting, a trip, walking barefoot, hugging your pet, a run in the park without any worries about tomorrow.
Busy and worried people cannot appreciate these details of the day-to-day experience that free souls promote and value.
7. Life inspires you, and your attitude inspires others
“The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it – basically because you feel good, very good, when you are near or with them.”
Maybe many people have asked you what your secret is. “You are all day with the smile on your face, you always have time for everything. You do so many things and you always make people feel good about themselves … How do you do it?”
You probably do not know what to answer because the philosophy of life you have created over time came naturally. However, in other cases, a free soul builds this positive attitude over time by overcoming certain challenges and passing through a maturing process.
Freedom is an attitude that is adopted with determination and perseverance. To reach it, you should also be aware that it is necessary to leave certain things in the past.
Are you a free soul? Do you identify with any of the above signs? Please share your thoughts with us.
- How Your Inner Critic Sabotages Your Growth and 5 Strategies to Deal with It - September 17, 2018
- What Is Psychological Deflection and How It Might Be Blocking Your Growth - September 3, 2018
- Beck’s Cognitive Triad and How It Can Help You Heal the Root of Depression - August 30, 2018
Copyright © 2012-2021 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.