Fifty years ago, people thought that at our time space travel will be as accessible as travel by public transport. Unfortunately, these hopes were not realized. But, perhaps as early as 2050 it will be possible to reach the space by elevator, the concept of which was presented by the Japanese company Obayashi Corporation.
The company promises to launch the elevator into space in several decades! In fact, the creation of this kind of technology involves several scientific and engineering teams around the world, supervised by NASA space agency. However, according to the Japanese company, this process
is going very slow, so it was decided to develop its own independent space elevator.
The main achievement of the NASA competition is the proof of the possibility of a space elevator. The Obayashi Corporation promises to launch this unusual space vehicle in 2050!
The elevator will lead from Earth to the space station, located at a height of36,000 km. The length of the cable will be96,000 km because of the necessity to create an orbital counterweight. In the future, it can be used to extend the route of the elevator.
The elevator will travel at speeds of 200 km per hour and carry at the same time up to 30 people. So the vehicle will need about 8 days to reach the ultimate destination. At the same time, the space station will be provided with laboratories and living quarters.
Travel cost per person after the launch of the space elevator will be reduced by several times compared to the present one.
The elevator cable will be created from the combination of carbon nanotubes and secretions from the glands of genetically modified spiders. Anyway, the Obayashi Corporation has a couple of decades to develop and implement these technologies.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
- The Quiet Ones Can Easily Fall into These 4 Ego Traps – Is Your Ego Exploiting Your Introversion? - May 2, 2017
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,