Practice itself will not help you achieve perfection in what you do; the point is to choose the right approach, claim a group of psychologists after having analyzed data from about 850 000 people who were playing the same game online.
The main conclusion of the study, which was recently published in the journal Psychological Science, states that if you want to quickly learn something, you should find the optimal strategy for the task before you start practicing.
Tom Stafford of the University of Sheffield, UK, and Michael Dewar of the R&D lab of The New York Times analyzed the results of 854 064 people in the online game “Axon“.
Players had to grow “neurons” by clicking on potential targets. Simultaneously the participants’ ability to learn, decision making, and reaction speed were tested.
The researchers’ goal was to find out to what extent the practice contributes to increasing the performance of players. Particular attention was paid to the “champions” who had reached the highest results for the same period of time as the rest of the game participants.
It turned out that the most successful players had chosen one of two strategies: they either completely immersed in the game, relying entirely on intuition, or spent some time on testing the game in the beginning in order to find out all the possibilities thoroughly, thus obtaining complete information.
“Our research shows that we can significantly speed up the learning process, choosing the right strategy: while someone may need to immerse himself in the process from the beginning, someone else should first master the theory”, explains Stafford. “The life of modern man is inextricably linked with learning new technologies and complex skills. Optimization of the learning process is one of the highest priorities of science.”
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
- The Quiet Ones Can Easily Fall into These 4 Ego Traps – Is Your Ego Exploiting Your Introversion? - May 2, 2017
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,