Some people express themselves easily, others find it quite hard.
Then there are the people who can express their thoughts and opinions very well, but struggle to express their emotions. Everybody expresses things differently, but there are some things that everyone who struggles to express themselves can relate to:
1. People think you’re not a nice person
Or that you’re cold. Not being able to express emotion can mean you’re often stone-faced when others are crying, or you have very little facial expressions so people are afraid to approach you. Whatever the case may be, chances are you’re often perceived as cold or not a nice person simply because you can’t express yourself well.
2. People think you’re not intelligent
If you’re unable to express yourself and stay quiet, people can sometimes perceive this as you not having something to say. Similarly, I can often communicate well in written form and portray my (somewhat) intelligence that way; however, when it comes to speaking out loud, I can’t get my point across and struggle to sound like I know what I’m talking about. If you struggle to express yourself in the same way I do, you’ll be used to people assuming you aren’t intelligent.
3. People come to you to listen to their problems
As you may not be great at communicating your own thoughts and feelings, that makes you a perfect listener for others. You’re often the person that people go to when they need a shoulder to cry on or simply an ear to listen.
4. Relationships can suffer from your lack of emotions
Or, more correctly, the inability to express those emotions. You may have tons of emotions floating around inside of you, but you can’t get them out and express them to others, which may mean your relationships can suffer when you can’t communicate what you want or feel.
5. You struggle to say “I love you”
First saying “I love you” to somebody can be a massive struggle for you, but once you get over that hurdle, you’re able to say the words freely. Saying you love somebody, or putting any kind of romantic feeling out there, makes you feel incredibly awkward. Not necessarily because you don’t actually feel it or you’re afraid of what the other person will say, but simply because you’re not good at expressing your feelings.
Do any of these sound like you? Can you relate? Let me know in the comments if you think any of these apply to you or somebody you know.
Latest posts by Christina (see all)
- 4 Psychologically Damaging Things Most Parents Say to Their Children - September 20, 2016
- 6 Problems All Old Souls Experience at Some Point in Their Life - September 15, 2016
- Lazy People Have One Mental Advantage, Studies Show - September 14, 2016
- The Time You Spend in the Shower Can Determine How Lonely You Are - September 12, 2016
- 5 Surprising Signs That You May Have Above Average Intelligence - August 27, 2016
Copyright © 2018 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,