If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it could be that your root chakra is blocked. Follow these root chakra healing practices to transform your life.
Chakras are energy centres within the body. When they get blocked, energy cannot flow through them and this can cause physical and emotional symptoms. When our root chakra becomes blocked, we can experience a range of physical and mental problems. Read on to find out some of the symptoms of a blocked root chakra and discover some practices that can provide root chakra healing.
10 Symptoms of a blocked root chakra
- Lower back pain
- Bladder problems
- Lack of self-esteem
- Kidney related diseases
- A feeling of disconnection from the world
- Lethargy and a feeling of laziness
Luckily, there are several simple, effective and enjoyable ways to balance the root chakra and allow the energy to flow again. Undertaking these practices with help to move the stagnant energy and leave you feeling healthy and revitalized.
1. Balance the root chakra with the color red
Each chakra has an associated color and the color for the root chakra is red. If you are feeling any of the above symptoms, you can try wearing something red. Don’t overdo it though as red is a strong and powerful color.
Wearing red socks is an excellent choice as this can help you feel a connection to the earth. However, any small item of red, such as a tie or piece of jewellery will help to support root chakra healing.
You could also add some small red items to your environment. Meditating with a red candle or buying some red flowers for your home or office can also boost your root chakra energy.
2. Balance the root chakra with a grounding technique
When the root chakra is balanced, we feel safe and grounded. If you are feeling disorientated or fearful, try the following grounding technique.
Ideally, stand on the earth or some grass with bare feet. If this is not practical, you can do this meditation indoors, preferably sitting or standing with your feet flat on the floor.
- Take a few deep breaths and close your eyes.
- Imagine a steam of white light coming in through the top of your head.
- Visualise this light going down your spine through your legs and into your feet.
- Imagine this light spreading out through the ground below you like the roots of a tree.
- Repeat the following affirmation three times, or for as long as you wish – ‘Feeling safe and grounded now.’
3. Experience the root chakra healing power of nature
The root chakra is most associated with the element of earth. This means that getting out in nature is great for healing the root chakra.
You could go for a hike, do some gardening or simply water your pot plants. Try to tune in to nature as you do this. Listen to the sound of the birds, feel the solid earth beneath your feet, and feel the breeze on your face.
4. Put on your dancing shoes
Your root chakra is a fundamental part of your body so it can be stimulated by movement, especially dance.
It doesn’t matter if you can’t dance. Just close the door turn on the music and feel the energy of the music flowing through you. Respond with your body in any movements that come naturally to you. Don’t think about it, just feel. And have some fun.
5. Meditate on your root chakra
A simple meditation can really open up your root chakra and help get the energy flowing again.
For this meditation, sit comfortably on the floor or an upright chair. Take a few deep breaths and then close your eyes. Now imagine a spinning ball of red light at the base of your spine.
As you breathe in, visualize yourself breathing in positive energy. As you breathe out, imagine you are releasing all stale, stagnant and negative energy. Continue for about ten minutes or for as long as you feel comfortable.
6. Take care of your feet
Our feet do a lot of work for us every day and we rarely show them any appreciation. We also absorb a lot of energy through our feet and they help us feel connected to the earth.
So show your feet some love. Have a nice foot soak and then massage some oil into your feet, you might also like to paint your toenails red. As well as boosting your root chakra energy this will make you smile and remind you to appreciate your feet.
7. Eat your way to a balanced root chakra
One of the simplest ways to perform root chakra healing is by eating red foods. Enjoy tucking into some naturally red roods such as red capsicum, tomatoes, red apples, and strawberries or raspberries.
8. Try tree pose (Vrksasana)
Yoga is a great way to boost chakra energy. This simple pose is perfect for supporting and balancing the root chakra.
- Begin by standing with your arms at your sides and your feet hip-width apart.
- Shift your weight to your left foot. Bend your right knee, then reach down and clasp your right ankle.
- Use your hand to draw your right foot alongside your inner left thigh.
- Rest your foot just above your knee. If you cannot reach this far, rest it just below the knee.
- Draw down through your left foot. Press your right foot into your left thigh, while pressing your thigh equally against your foot.
- Now, press your palms together in prayer position at your chest. Fix your gaze gently on one, unmoving point in front of you.
- Inhale as you extend your arms overhead, reaching your fingertips to the sky. Rotate your palms inward to face each other.
- Hold for up to one minute. Then release back into a standing position
- Repeat on the opposite side.
Check out this video guide to learn how to perform the tree pose:
A root chakra healing practice can have powerful effects on the body and mind. Try to do one of these suggestions every morning to keep yourself feeling safe, grounded and full of energy and vitality.
If you are experiencing serious physical or emotional problems, you should always seek advice from a qualified practitioner.
Copyright © 2012-2019 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.