NASA astronomers have learned when the Sun’s magnetic field will change its polarity. According to the calculations, it will happen in only three weeks, writes the “Metro”.
However, it is not a cause to wait for the apocalypse: such poles changes occur on the Sun every 11 years.
“It is not a disaster, but a large-scale phenomenon with real consequences. But it’s not something to worry about,” explained Todd Hoeksema, expert in solar physics of the Stanford University. “First, the solar magnetic field weakens till it is reduced to zero, and then it reappears again, but with reversed polarity – these processes are a normal stage of the solar cycle,” said his colleague Phil Scherrer.
However, this activity will affect the entire solar system. On Earth, it will result in magnetic storms, the malfunction of satellites and electronic devices. At the peak of activity, more outbursts, plasma emissions and the so-called coronal holes, i.e. areas with high speed of the solar wind, appear on the Sun.
Still, the change of the Sun’s magnetic field has a positive side: for example, the world will be more likely to watch the northern lights, writes Daily Mail.
The fact that the star is close to the point in which its magnetic poles switch places was reported back in August. But then the experts could not say exactly when this will happen.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 5 Existential Questions with Two Possible Answers (and Both Are Terrifying) - June 18, 2018
- How to Overcome Social Anxiety by Asking Yourself This One Silly Question - May 16, 2018
- 8 Crazy Things Introverts Do to Avoid Talking to People - May 5, 2018
- The Unexpected Social Anxiety Therapy That Cured My Fears in 1 Day - December 16, 2017
- 6 Signs You Could Be Stuck in Life without Even Realizing It - November 17, 2017