First of all, it depends on your native language and foreign languages you know. For example, if you know Latin, it is easier to learn languages of the Romance group. If you know French Spanish will seem easy. However, there are ways to estimate a linguistic complexity.From this point of view the most difficult languages are those which contain a great number of rules to describe their structure.
In fact subjective factors play a much bigger role: a desire to learn a foreign language begins with your interest in a certain national culture. In this case a complexity of language plays a secondary role – an anime fan will learn difficult Japanese with less effort than relatively easy Spanish, which is completely uninteresting to him.
However it is considered that:
- Firstly it’s better to learn German and French.
- English is easier to learn with prior knowledge of German and French.
- Dutch language is easy to remember after German and English.
- Scandinavian languages are better to learn after German.
- Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian are better to learn after French or Latin.
- Polish and Slovak are easier to learn if you know Czech language.
- Yiddish – after German, Hebrew and Slavic languages.
- Hebrew and Persian – after Arabic.
- Japanese and Korean – after Chinese.