According to Russian scientists, the new Armageddon called “Apophis” will approach us on 13 April 2029.
An asteroid, which originally has not been given the importance, is probable to hit the Earth. According to estimations of Russian scientists, it will happen on April 13, 2029.
However, as noted by Professor Leonid Sokolov of St. Petersburg University, “Apophis will approach our planet at 37-38.000 km in 2029 but a possible collision with Earth will occur seven years later, on
April 13, 2036.”
The asteroid 99942 Apophis is not new to scientists since it was first discovered in 2004 by Roy A. Tucker, David J. Tholen, and Fabricio Bernardi in Observatory inArizona,USA
The destructive path of the asteroid will include Middle East, South America and the west coast of Africa.
With the help of a simulation application, researchers at Universityof Southamptonfound that, depending on where the Apophis will hit, it could cause the death of 10 million people.
But there is also an optimistic scenario: the asteroid is likely to break up into smaller pieces and not to affect the Earth. However, only in 2029 when it will approach the Earth it will be possible to get more exact information on whether the Apophis will enter the orbit of our planet.
This little probability was enough to motivate the Russian scientists for work on finding a solution. “We are developing a number of scenarios for what to do in such a case to treat it properly,” said Sokolov adding that everything will be done according to the laws of physics.
The Russians are looking for ways to divert the asteroid’s course and consider launching a spacecraft for this purpose.
Note that Apophis was the Greek name of an Egyptian deity who was trying to harm the Earth, destroying the Sun during the night.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
- The Quiet Ones Can Easily Fall into These 4 Ego Traps – Is Your Ego Exploiting Your Introversion? - May 2, 2017
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,