1. Sugar in Space
Astronomers found that simple sugar molecules floating in the space around a star about 400 light years away suggest the likelihood of life on other planets. The term “sugar” is used referring to organic molecules known as carbohydrate, consisting of oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon.
2. New planet in our solar system
As said by a study published in May, another unexplored planet might be rotating in the fringes of our solar system. “Being too far away to be detected by telescopes, the planet seems to make its presence disrupting the orbit of the so-called Kuiper Belt (small icy bodies, located beyond the orbit of Neptune, among of which are some dwarf planets)” says Rodney Gomes of the National Observatory of Brazil.
3. The God particle
In July it was reported that two separate research teams working at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) discovered a new particle, which was exactly where the Higgs boson, known as the “God particle”, was expected to be.
4. “Unknown” life in Antarctica
A camera equipped with an underwater robot discovered barnacles, crabs, anemones and octopuses, most of which are colorless and live in total darkness at a depth of 2,400 meters in the Pacific Ocean.
5. System of nine planets
According to a study in April, HD 10180, a star like the Sun in the southern constellation Hydrus, might have up to nine planets in orbit, located in the respective points of the eight official planets of our solar system.
6. The mysterious Mayan calendar
Archaeologists have discovered an unbelievable mural filled with numbers that were used by ancient people to calculate the year. The famous Mayan calendar is the most accurate one in human history, and, in contrast with the prophecy of the destruction of the world in December 2012, it seems to be continuing beyond this date… (You can read more about this finding here)
7. The Mayan “Temple of the Sun”
The Mayan temple in the jungles of Guatemala, one of the most popular discoveries of 2012, reveals many details about the Mayan civilization, which, unlike the Aztecs and the Incas, was a loose congregation of city-states.
Copyright © 2016 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- Do You Feel Like You Don’t Belong Here? 4 Reasons Why It May Be a Good Thing - June 16, 2016
- The Mystery of the 2,000-Year-Old Ancient Computer Has Just Been Solved - June 11, 2016
- Dyatlov Pass Mystery: the Creepy Death of Nine Soviet Hikers in 1959 Remains Unsolved - June 8, 2016
- 12 Truths Introverts Want to Tell You but Won’t - June 2, 2016
- 4 Powers That May Be Hiding Behind Anxiety Disorders - May 27, 2016