In 1936, the American writer Dorothy Brandt in her book «Wake Up and Live» offered some fun exercises for the brain training to help you make your mind sharper and more flexible. These exercises are aimed to get you out of your usual environment, show a different perspective (even a different reality, if you want) and create a situation that will require ingenuity and creative solutions.
1. Spend 1 hour a day without saying anything, just answering direct questions in your usual surroundings, without creating the impression that you are offended or in a bad mood. Behave as normally as possible. Do not make any comments and do not give in to attempts to extract information from you.
2. For 30 minutes a day, think of one and only subject, being completely focused on it. You can start with five minutes.
3. For 15 minutes a day keep conversation without using the words “I, me, my, mine.“
4. Allow your interlocutor to talk only about himself without realizing it. Using polite questions, get him back to the mainstream of mutual conversation so that he does not feel any pressure or negative emotions.
5. Try to talk only about yourself without boasting, without complaining and without making your interlocutors get bored.
6. Make a strict plan for two hours a day and follow that plan.
7. Give yourself 12 random tasks, such as walking 20 miles from home without using any means, stay 12 hours without food, have breakfast in the most unexpected and unlikely place that you can find, not to talk all day except of giving answers to the questions.
8. During the day, say “yes” to all questions and suggestions (within reasonable bounds).
These exercises may seem silly and useless, but in fact they can bring much new in your life and get to know yourself better.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- The Unexpected Social Anxiety Therapy That Cured My Fears in 1 Day - December 16, 2017
- 6 Signs You Could Be Stuck in Life without Even Realizing It - November 17, 2017
- 5 Lessons the Fall Season Teaches Us about Life - November 14, 2017
- 5 Signs Your Social Phobia Is Actually Empathic Sensitivity to People’s Energy - September 11, 2017
- 7 Confessions of an INTP Female - August 26, 2017
Copyright © 2018 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,