The famous saying that “there can be no friendship between a man and a woman” seems to be confirmed scientifically, at least concerning men. New research indicates that developing friendly relations with women, men are driven by sexual attraction they feel for them. According to the researchers, this statement is not true for women who enter into friendly relations with men.
Researchers at the University of Wisconsin came in contact with 88 couples of friends. Both man and woman of each couple were asked to respond individually to various questions, including the degree of sexual attraction they felt for his/her friend.
It was found that men were more likely to feel sexual attraction to their friend compared with women who most often said they did not have any erotic feelings for their friend.
Interesting point is that men do not hesitate to develop friendly relations with women sexually attractive to them, even if at that time they have a stable relationship.
In contrast, women, in a much larger degree than men, accept the platonic nature of a friendship between the two sexes.
The research also debunks another “myth” which states that women get attracted to non-single men. According to the results published in the journal «Social and Personal Relationships», men in relationship are not an object of interest for women.
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why Intelligent People Fail to Be Happy - November 24, 2016
- 5 Times You Know You Are Rebelling Against Modern Society (Even If It Doesn’t Feel This Way) - November 5, 2016
- 5 Reasons Why Introverts Love Autumn - September 22, 2016