The 72 year old scientist appeared in the show «Live from Space» on Channel 4 which had a live connection with the astronauts of the International Space Station. Hawking often makes predictions of technological and scientific progress and its impact on human life in the near and distant future. This time Hawking argued that the 21st century will be a milestone in space exploration.
“In 50 years we will have created bases and homes on the Moon. The same will happen on Mars by the end of the century,” says Hawking, who believes that if we fail to colonize other planets, humanity will be in danger of extinction. “Our planet is an old world that is threatened by the continued human population growth and the depletion of the Earth’s resources. We must take account of these factors and make up a plan B. If we want to survive the next hundred years, even if not talking about the next thousand years, it is imperative to colonize other worlds away from Earth. If we follow this path I am sure that the next century will be characterized as a true space age,” said Hawking.
Copyright © 2016 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Reasons Why Intelligent People Fail to Be Happy - November 24, 2016
- 5 Times You Know You Are Rebelling Against Modern Society (Even If It Doesn’t Feel This Way) - November 5, 2016
- 5 Reasons Why Introverts Love Autumn - September 22, 2016
- 5 Struggles of Being a Cold Person with a Sensitive Soul - August 16, 2016
- Why Deep People Often Feel Alone and Misunderstood (and What They Can Do about It) - June 30, 2016