The throat chakra bears the name “Vishuddha,” which means “purification” and perfectly describes this its role.
In the Hindu symbolism, Vishuddha is represented by a 16-petalled, azure-colored lotus, sometimes featuring blue-violet shades. At the center of the lotus is placed an upside-down triangle, with a white circle included. Esoteric astrology links the throat chakra to the planet Mercury, and the functions of this chakra are related to knowledge, concrete thoughts and judgmental capabilities. Additionally, the sacred animal associated with Vishuddha is the white elephant, a symbol of wisdom, discernment, and steadiness.
Vishuddha is the fifth chakra and is located at the base of the neck. It is responsible for honest communication and is the center of the creativity. This creativity, unlike the instinctual creativity that is located in the second chakra, is a conscious creativity. It is somehow the deep expression of our being.
The throat chakra is the center of expression because here your inner truth takes the physical form (by sound). The second function of this chakra is sincerity: the expression of what is true for ourselves, to listen and to be heard or to find our inner voice.
Physically speaking, Vishuddha governs the nervous system, the pharynx with vocal cords and ears. It is also directly linked to the woman’s genital organs through the connection with the Swadisthana chakra.
The throat chakra is responsible for transforming thoughts into forms of energy-bearing and information manifested through verbal communication.
For this reason, the voice can have powerful therapeutical effects, but it can also become a destructive weapon by addressing accusations, reproaches, or repressed emotions. In such case, singing is a beneficial use of Vishuddha because it is an expressive form of our soul, thought and emotions.
What Interrupts the Optimum Function of the Throat Chakra?
The main inhibitor of this chakra is a lie. Every time we lie, even if we have “good” reasons to and think that it may not hurt anyone, we actually hurt ourselves. Every lie is energetically jamming us and blocks the throat chakra.
An additional factor that affects the throat chakra is the criticism one may receive. If you feel judged for what you said, if you have the impression that what you have to say would harm anyone or you fear that if you were honest, you could cause conflict, then the repressed thoughts and feelings will have a negative impact on your throat chakra.
Thirdly, it is very likely to have an unbalanced throat chakra as a result of traumatic childhood experiences. You may have been marginalized at school or perhaps verbally abused. If your parents were yelling at you and rarely encouraged you to express yourself, then these experiences may have left some emotional scars that you have not yet healed.
Signs of a Blocked Throat Chakra
Consequently, dysfunctions in this energy plexus can cause diseases in the related systems:
- Sore throats
Other signs that indicate a blockage of the throat chakra are:
- Struggling to find your words or/and being afraid to talk
- Getting nervous when you find it difficult to express yourself
- Believing that it makes no sense to express yourself because most probably you will be misunderstood
- Allowing others to dominate you verbally
- Being afraid of conflicts in order to avoid controversy
How To Heal the Throat Chakra?
Every problem has a solution and there are certainly beneficial activities that will help you unblock your throat chakra or improve its functionality:
- Warm up your voice 7 times a day with soft musical notes
- Write letters (even if you do not send them, what matters is to express yourself, put on paper everything you want to say to someone, good or bad)
- Read a text out loud
- Have a dialogue with your inner child – in writing or verbally, out loud or in your head
- Keep your palms on your ears for a few minutes
- Neck exercises such as head rotation
- Silence – Take a few moments a day where you are on your own, in silence
- Be honest! When you’re afraid to express yourself, make an effort and say honestly what you have to say. Just speak from your heart and everything will be fine!
- Express your creativity! Develop your hobbies
- Respiration exercises where you deeply inhale and exhale (Try Ujjayi Breathing techniques)
- Sing as often as you can
Although there may be various reasons that could affect the throat chakra, it is recommendable to recognize the signs of blockage. You need to identify the real cause and develop a personalized set of solutions that could help you overcome the obstacles.
If you have previously experienced difficulties in your Vishuddha chakra and have successfully healed it, please share your journey with us in the comments below.
Latest posts by Andreea V. (see all)
- 11 Signs Your Throat Chakra Is Blocked and How to Unblock It - January 18, 2018
- What Is a Kindred Soul and 10 Signs That You Have Found Yours - January 11, 2018
- What Are the Best Jobs for Introverts? 10 Most Suitable Career Choices - January 7, 2018
- 8 Signs of Visitation Dreams and How to Interpret Them - January 2, 2018
- Why Your Crown Chakra May Be Blocked (and How to Heal It) - December 24, 2017
Copyright © 2018 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,