It is known that the subconscious part of the mind knows much more than the conscious one. Meta-analysis of U.S. scientists has shown that the subconscious mind switches on before our conscious awareness is activated, warning us about something that is going to happen in the very near future, without stimuli from the surrounding environment.
Researchers of Northwestern University analyzed the findings of 26 previous studies that had been held from 1978 until 2010.
“What is not yet clear is whether the person has the ability to foresee future events without any indication from the environment,” explains the leading author of the study Dr. Julia Mossbridge of the Visual Perception, Cognition and Neuroscience Laboratory of the university.
For example, if an office worker is playing computer games and is wearing headphones, obviously he cannot hear the director approach.
“Our analysis showed that if we are in full coordination with our bodies, then we can see some changes 2-10 seconds before and close the game in time,” says the expert.
This phenomenon, according to scientists, is called presentiment or intuition and could be described as a perception of the near future. However, the views on this phenomenon differ.
“Personally, I would call this phenomenon anomalous anticipatory activity,” says Dr. Mossbridge. “This is an anomalous phenomenon and so far we cannot explain the biological mechanism behind it; perhaps quantum biology could give us some answers. I call it anticipatory because it seems to anticipate future changes in our physiology (cardiopulmonary, skin changes and changes related to the nervous system) in relation to an important event without any known evidence.”
These interesting findings are presented in the journal «Frontiers in Perception Science».
Latest posts by Anna LeMind (see all)
- 6 Summertime Struggles Only a Socially Awkward Introvert Will Understand - August 14, 2017
- The Quiet Ones Can Easily Fall into These 4 Ego Traps – Is Your Ego Exploiting Your Introversion? - May 2, 2017
- Is There Life After Death? 5 Hints That Our Existence Doesn’t End with the Physical Death - April 25, 2017
- 6 Reasons Why INTP Personality Type Is One of the Quirkiest and Most Misunderstood - February 17, 2017
- 5 Struggles of Being an Old Soul in a Young Body - January 16, 2017
Copyright © 2017 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint,